Friday, May 18, 2012

Feeling down?

In need of inspiration?

Then by all means find a way to watch the HBO segment "The Great Cafeteria Takeover," about the Rethinkers movement in New Orleans public schools.

It's part of HBO's The Weight of the Nation series, which as a whole is, frankly, bad and I don't recommend it. I viscerally loathe that "corporations will have to be our partners" nonsense, which is why I appreciated the "hold their feet to the fire" perspective these young kids appear to understand better than most of the adults involved.

Watching these kids, I cheered, I sang along with Allen Toussaint (and the sappy Whitney Houston song playing in my head), and I just felt hopeful.

Now if only they could also start rethinking animal consumption....

No comments:

Post a Comment