Saturday, November 3, 2012

Blood TV

Writing in my previous post about The Silence of the Lambs, and, even more, watching CSA: Confederate States of America recently (or finishing it – for some reason I watched it in 15-minute bits over a period of months) reminded me that I’ve been grimly recording the various meat shows I’ve seen appear over the past several months.

A sample of the carnage on which we feed:

“Meat America,” on the History Channel

“Meat Men,” on the Food Network

The “American Hoggers” (A&E) “Get Snorty” game

“United States of Food” (“United States of Bacon,” “United States of Burgers,” “United States of Steak”), on Discovery

The whole celebration reeks of anxious masculinity and ideological propaganda. When future generations look back and judge our culture’s morality, and they will, this is what they’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment